Anti-aging products are probably the most iconic cosmetics out there. After all aren’t beauty products made to keep us young forever? Those products have most certainly quite impactful, but at what price. Let’s have a closer look to potential hazardous ingredients and figure out the best natural alternatives for a forever-young-effect.
1- Some Current Main Components Used:
- Peptides: These molecules occur naturally in living organisms. Certain peptides are able to stimulate collagen production, and have been shown to improve skin texture and wrinkling.
- Retinoids. This term is used for vitamin A compounds, such as retinol and retinoic acid. These ingredients help to repair sun-damaged skin and reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid): Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant, which means it protects the skin from free radicals — unstable oxygen molecules that break down skin cells and cause wrinkles. Vitamin C may help protect skin from sun damage and reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
- Tea extracts. Green, black and oolong tea contain compounds with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Wrinkle creams are most likely to use green tea extracts.
- Grape seed extract. In addition to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, grape seed extract promotes collagen production.
- Niacinamide. A potent antioxidant, this substance is related to vitamin B-3 (niacin). It helps reduce water loss in the skin and may improve skin elasticity.
- Hydroxy acids: Alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) include glycolic, citric and lactic acid. They are used to remove dead skin cells (to exfoliate).
2- Some Current Hazardous Components to Avoid:
- Parabens: Parabens are a group of preservative ingredients that are commonly used in many products of our daily lives. They are used in cosmetics, personal care products, food products and even pharmaceuticals. They prevent the spoilage of the materials they are added to as they prevent the growth of fungi and bacteria. The parabens were proven to penetrate the body through the skin and remain within the tissue which disrupts the hormones’ functions.
- Acrylamide:, acrylamide has actually been revealed to cause cancers cells and lumps, and is additionally neurotoxic.
- Scents: Scents are usually made of harmful ingredients such as toluene, a part located in some anti aging wrinkle creams and sun screen lotions. Not just does it cause liver and renal system damages and anemia, it additionally straight has an effect on fetal advancement.
- Propylene Glycol: Propylene glycol protects against healthy and balanced skin cells from increasing and induces skin inflammation. It additionally has the possible to ruin the liver and renal systems and may cause cancer.
- Salt Lauryl Sulphate (SLS): Located in most of of anti-wrinkle firming creams this substance bring about skin dryness and untimely ageing. It additionally passes through the skin’s all-natural obstacle with harmful chemicals like nitrosamine, which is strongly carcinogenic.
- Ethanolamines: Incorporated in a few anti-wrinkle firming creams to create balanced skin pH, ethanolamine has actually been discontinued in skin care items in Europe due to its carcinogenic and allergenic properties.
3- Natural Alternatives:
- Homemade natural anti-aging face mask: This homemade face mask contains many ingredients that will tighten, soften, and nourish to make your skin a more youthful appearance. Furthermore, the ingredients chosen can be mixed and stored for a period of time. To begin, find a recipient where you will mix dry ingredients together and then, the liquid one. For the liquid ingredients, add the dry mixture one at a time and mixing thoroughly after each addition. It will clump up as the liquid hits the dry ingredients, but keep stirring. You can use a strainer to get all the clumps out.
1 cup colloidal oats or baby oatmeal
1 cup raw sugar
1 cup milk powder
2 tablespoons honey powder
1 tablespoon liquid vegetable glycerine
10 drops melissa essential oil
10 drops clary sage essential oil
10 drops frankincense essential oil
1 tablespoon argan oil
Once it’s completely mixed, cover lightly and set aside for a day. Use a towel to cover it, which allows any moisture left in it to get into the dry ingredients. Stir again and put through the strainer again if needed. Store in a sealed container in a cool place, out of direct sunlight. Be sure to label with the contents and date. This facial mask has a shelf life of about a year (if stored properly). To use your mask, place about a teaspoon of the mix in your hand. Mix with just enough water to make a paste and cover it on your face. Let it 20 min before to rinse off with warm water. You can either use your fingertips or a gentle washcloth to remove the mask. After removing, apply a light moisturizer if desired.
- Anti-aging vitamin C toner: To begin, make sure you have in your possession a spice grinder and an amber glass bottle with a spray top if possible. Then, blend into powder ¼ tablespoon of l-ascorbic acid (10% of concentration). This step will prevent the toner being gritty. For the last step, combine into the glass bottle the powder added to ½ oz. rose hydrosol plus 5 drops of chamomile or lavender essential oil and with several drops of optional Vitamin E oil, if you target to increase the antioxidant effect.
Use morning and night on a clean face before applying moisturizers or makeup. Shake vigorously before each use. With eyes and mouth closed, spray generously all over face and neck and allow to dry.
- Frankincense and myrrh facial cream:
Some information about the ingredients properties:
Frankincense essential oil has a very woody and spicy scent. It is wonderful for aging skin and helps to heal dry skin. It also helps spur skin cell regeneration, thus smoothing wrinkles.
Myrrh essential oil is also anti-aging and is an intensive skin healer and smells much more earthy than frankincense but also has a spicy quality.
About sandalwood essential oil. Its scent is warm and sweet, yet also earthy and woody. It helps calm the skin and heal cuts, and provide hydration for dry skin.
Concerning avocado oil because it is rich in fatty acids. This makes it highly skin penetrating, moisturizing and it promotes skin cell regeneration. When combined with the anti-aging properties of coconut oil and the protection of beeswax, it makes a fine facial cream.
In a double boiler, melt 1.5 ounces of beeswax with 3 ounces of avocado oil and 3 ounces of coconut oil. Once fully melted, stir the cream and allow to cool slightly. Then, take advantage that the mixture is liquid to add 15 drops of frankincense essential oil, 15 drops of myrrh essential oil and 10 drops of sandalwood essential oil. Mix well before to pour everything into 2 differents 4-ounce container. Use a small amount of cream each night before bed.