Shaving Soaps are products intended to be used by both women and men for an effective shave. These products are usually in the form of cakes or sticks that produce a lather when rubbed on the skin.
1- Some Current Main Components Used:
- Glycerin: Also known as glycerol, glycerin is a sugar alcohol that can be easily obtained from natural sources. It plays the role of a humectant: meaning it retains moisture in the upper layer of the skin and prevents premature moist from cosmetics. Glycerin has great moisturizing properties as well as it contains cleansing agents. It can be found in personal care products such as soaps, toothpastes, and hair conditioners.
- Polysorbate 40: The Polysorbate ingredients help other ingredients to dissolve in a solvent in which they would not normally dissolve. They also help to form emulsions by reducing the surface tension of the substances to be emulsified. Expert Committee on Food Additives has established an Acceptable Daily Intake of 0-25 mg/kg body weight.
- Stearate salts: It appears as a white powder with a slight fatty odor and are generally used for their lubricating properties. They also help to keep emulsions from separating into their oil and liquid components. The CIR Expert Panel reviewed acute oral studies indicating that the Stearate salts were practically non toxic, and had a low potential for acute dermal toxicity. Skin irritation studies demonstrated that Stearates were only minimal to slight irritants at high concentrations.
2- Some Current Hazardous Components to Avoid:
- Fragrance: Fragrance ingredients in cosmetics must meet the same requirements for safety as other cosmetic ingredients: they must be safe for consumers when they are used according to labeled directions. Some components of fragrance formulas may have a potential to cause allergic skin reactions or sensitivities for some people.
3- Natural Alternatives:
- Homemade shaving soap: Find a larger foaming soap bottle. Put 1/4 cup of natural aloe vera gel (not the juice) in a container where you will add 1/4 cup of liquid castile soap with 1 tablespoon of olive or almond oil. Then, mix 1/4 cup of warm distilled water (or lavender infused) with grapefruit seed extract added to essential oils for fragrance (optional). To finish, mix all the ingredients in the foamer bottle and shake gently until mixed. Shake well before each use. This recipe will last a couple of months.