Pre shave lotions are products intended to be used by men immediately prior to shaving. These products typically contain an astringent which causes bristles to lift up from the skin’s surface, facilitating a close shave.
1- Some Current Main Components Used:
- Glycerin: Also known as glycerol, glycerin is a sugar alcohol that can be easily obtained from natural sources. It plays the role of a humectant: meaning it retains moisture in the upper layer of the skin and prevents premature moist from cosmetics. Glycerin has great moisturizing properties as well as it contains cleansing agents. It can be found in personal care products such as soaps, toothpastes, and hair conditioners.
- Octyldodecanol: It appears as a colorless liquid that separate oil and liquid into two components and acts as a lubricant for the skin which transforms the skin to a soft and smooth appearance. The CIR Expert Panel evaluated the scientific data and concluded that the Octyldodecanol safe for use in cosmetics and personal care products.
2- Some Current Hazardous Components to Avoid:
- Fragrance: Fragrance ingredients in cosmetics must meet the same requirements for safety as other cosmetic ingredients: they must be safe for consumers when they are used according to labeled directions. Some components of fragrance formulas may have a potential to cause allergic skin reactions or sensitivities for some people.
3- Natural Alternatives:
- Castor Oil: Castor oil is very thick and slick, creating a strong protective barrier on top of the skin for shaving. It naturally contains undecylenic acid, a germ-fighting acid that can help to prevent itchiness, sooth burning, irritation, acne, ingrown hairs, and other sensitivities due to its cleansing properties. Used on its own though, it would be very heavy and difficult to apply. This is why mixing it with another oil like olive oil will be helpful.
- Olive Oil: This oil has been used in skin care for centuries for its good virtues. It contains squalene, which offers antioxidants, anti-aging properties, and will moisturize the skin. You can combine it with castor oil to perfect your natural pre shaving product.