Aftershave Lotions are products intended to be used by men after they have finished shaving.
1- Some Current Main Components Used:
- Alcohol: It is a common ingredient with what aftershaves is made. It is used as an astringent to help to close the pores. It also acts as an antiseptic and helps to prevent infection after shaving. It is also known as a skin irritant that dry out your skin and removing all the natural oil produced by it.
- Isopropyl Myristate: This synthetic oil is used as an additive in many cosmetic and makeup products. A unique characteristic of Isopropyl Myristate is its ability to reduce the greasy feel caused by the high oil content of other ingredients in a product. Although it is safe to use, in more than 5% of formulations, it can cause skin irritation. For this reason, it is considered a comedogenic and is aggravating to acne, so it is not the best ingredient to look for if you have an oily skin.
- Tocopheryl Acetates: It is a form of vitamin E, a natural skin-conditioning agent and antioxidant. It is safe to use and has a lot of benefits: it helps to enhance the efficacy of active sunscreen ingredients, reduce the formation of free radicals from exposure to UV rays, promote the healing process, strengthen the skin’s barrier function, protect the skin barrier lipid balance, and reduce transepidermal water loss..
2- Some Current Hazardous Components to Avoid:
- Fragrance: Fragrance ingredients in cosmetics must meet the same requirements for safety as other cosmetic ingredients: they must be safe for consumers when they are used according to labeled directions. Some components of fragrance formulas may have a potential to cause allergic skin reactions or sensitivities for some people.
3- Natural Alternatives:
- Aloe Vera plant: With the same effect as the alcohol contained in aftershaves, it contracts the skin to prevent infections and to stop bleeding. It has also anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial effects. This is an amazing plant that also reduces the healing time when cut. If you want an aftershave that does not dry out your skin and gives a soothing effect, Aloe Vera is perfect.
- Apple vinegar: Apple cider vinegar diluted in water can also act as an aftershave lotion. Dilute it with equal parts water or witch hazel if it seems too strong for you and store the mixture in the fridge. The thing about this mix is that you should make it a few days in advance. Once you have mixed the ingredients, store them for about 4 or 5 days in a cool dark place. Make sure you shake the jar before you use it. Use a soft cotton ball to apply it to your skin.
- Water: It is an important thing to know when using water in the very end of your shaving process. At the beginning, it is better to wash face with warm water, as this will open your pores and wash away any possible dirt that’s left. And then, to splash cold water on your face that will help to close down the pores, meaning that new dirt won’t be able to enter. So, if you close your pores right after you have cleaned them, your skin will look better and be overall healthier