Nail Products

Nail Polish Remover

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

If you are a big fan of different colors and like to treat your nails frequently, an effective nail polish remover is a must in your makeup kit. Find in this category the harmful ingredients in your commercial nail polish remover, the current ingredients used and the alternatives if you want a more natural option.

1- Some Current Main Components Used:

  • Acetone: This ingredient is a colorless liquid, it is usually a manufactured chemical but can also be found naturally in the environment. 
  • Dimethicone: Also called polymethylsiloxane, it is a medication used to heal or prevent itchiness, dryness, and other minor skin irritations. It is an emollient which is a substance that moisturizes and softens the skin. Dimethicone is a skin protectant that has skin-conditioning agents and the properties of a lubricant. 
  • Camphor: Camphor gives nail polishes their shiny and glossy- like appearance, this ingredient is even used in cold remedies sometimes such as nasal sprays and is judged to be less toxic than the other ingredients. Too much exposure to camphor can lead to allergies, skin irritations and can even lead to nausea and dizziness.
  • Isopropyl Alcohol: Also called isopropanol or 2- propanol, is a colorless and flammable chemical with a very strong odor. It is typically used in conditioners to help dissolve other ingredients and to fasten the drying process. It evaporates quickly and its danger can be causing irritation and system toxicity when used in high portions.

2- Some Current  Hazardous Components to Avoid:

  • Color Additives: In case you are wondering where does the blue in your eyeliner or the pink in your blush are coming from, here is your answer. Color additives provide to consumers all the appealing colors they will find in their products, even in contact lenses. These ingredients come basically as dyes, pigments or other textures to impact the color when added to other substances. They are usually considered to be safe except from some colors.
  • Camphor: Camphor gives nail polishes their shiny and glossy- like appearance, this ingredient is even used in cold remedies sometimes such as nasal sprays and is judged to be less toxic than the other ingredients. Too much exposure to camphor can lead to allergies, skin irritations and can even lead to nausea and dizziness.
  • Isopropyl Alcohol: Also called isopropanol or 2- propanol, is a colorless and flammable chemical with a very strong odor. It is typically used in conditioners to help dissolve other ingredients and to fasten the drying process. It evaporates quickly and its danger can be causing irritation and system toxicity when used in high portions.

3- Natural Alternatives:

  • Vinegar: You can mix vinegar with an equal part of lemon and use it as a natural nailpolish remover.
  • Lemon: Lemon can be an effective way of removing nail polish without the chemicals inside the commercial nail removers. You can soak your nails in lukewarm water for around 5 minutes and then use slices of lemon on your fingers to naturally remove the nail polish.

Write A Comment