This category includes the most commonly used ingredients in makeup fixing products, harmful ingredients and also some natural alternatives.
1- Some Current Main Components Used:
- Glycerin: Also known as glycerol, glycerin is a sugar alcohol that can be easily obtained from natural sources. It plays the role of a humectant: meaning it retains moisture in the upper layer of the skin and prevents premature moist from cosmetics. Glycerin has great moisturizing properties as well as it contains cleansing agents. It can be found in personal care products such as soaps, toothpastes, and hair conditioners.
- Sorbic Acid: This ingredient acts as a preservative as well as an antimicrobial agent in cosmetics and personal care products. This ingredient is mainly used to prevent product damage that is usually caused by microorganisms.
- Hydrolyzed Pearl: This ingredient is a water soluble form of the powder produced from pearls. It is easier to apply and be absorbed on the skin care or cosmetic products it is used in.
- Caprylyl Glycol: This ingredient is another type of glycol. The Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR) is to say that this ingredient is safe and has no side effects on the users.
2- Some Current Hazardous Components to Avoid:
- Fragrance: Fragrance ingredients in cosmetics must meet the same requirements for safety as other cosmetic ingredients: they must be safe for consumers when they are used according to labeled directions. Some components of fragrance formulas may have a potential to cause allergic skin reactions or sensitivities for some people.
3- Natural Alternatives:
- Vegetable Glycerin: If you want a chemicals free makeup fixator, make your own by using simple ingredients like water, vegetable glycerin, and rose water. Three simple ingredients that will certainly not cost you much and have tons of benefits for your skin. You can also add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to add a bit of fragrance. Use tea tree oil if you have an acne prone skin, or lavender oil if you have sensitive skin.